Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Nice microbe-art-education example from Cornell

Cool story from the Cornell News: Bacteria research inspires students' creative artwork | Cornell Chronicle.  It discusses a course taught by Prof. Greg Page "Introduction to Print Media".  As part of the course the students got a guest lecture from none other than Ruth Ley - who is a faculty member at Cornell and who does some of the most interesting microbiome work around.

Anyway - this guest lecture inspired some of the students in the course to make some microbial themed art works.  And the ones shown on the Cornell News site are wonderful.  Consider this one:
Image obtained from Cornell News.
"Tribal Warfare," lithography and screen print.by Rebecca Potash.
I also love the lines from Ruth Ley on why she got involved in this and what she plans to do in the future.  Consider this:
“As part of my teaching at Cornell, I plan on training science students in the interpretation of concepts in visual arts and eventually even have them learn some basic skills for producing images or video,” Ley said. “I also want to bring science to fine arts students, and my collaboration with Professor Page was my first attempt at this.”
Nice.  Got to try and do more things like this myself ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...